I have some bad news.
After working on this project for a few weeks, encountering obstacles in the building process and finding solutions around those obstacles, I have finally come to an obstacle that is beyond my ability to circumvent. The program I have been using to create this educational, practical video game for chemistry students is broken!! When I try to click on the attributes for the characters I place in the game, nothing happens. This is not an issue with my programming or my game -- it's an issue with the software that I'm using. Apparently, other Windows users have had problems with GameSalad glitching or freezing or not responding. According to one source, which I included in the picture below, GameSalad has a large Mac user base and the developers are lackadaisical in responding to issues posed by Windows users. This means that my bug reports probably won't be addressed any time soon.
Just to be sure that the issue was with the software and not with my computer, I took a screenshot of my task manager. It shows that my processor was running at 9% with a memory usage of 61% -- not enough to cause the program to freeze. No, the non-responsiveness is an issue with the user interface of the software. I have noticed a few bugs while working with GameSalad since I started this project, but so far none of the issues have been "game-changing". This one, however, means game over for my project... or at least the project as I originally intended it...
It turns out that there are a plethora of "game engines" (programs designed to help you make video games) available on the web. I mentioned this a little bit in my first post for this project. While